Monday, June 18, 2012

Incorporating Dutch Bicycle Signals in Portland Practice

I attended a meeting with Portland State University's research team on Bicycle Signals to discuss what practitioners need to know and determine steps necessary to reduce the traffic engineering community's concerns related to implementation. There's a lot to learn, no doubt about the topic and it's key that we are determining how people are using the signals in addition to just how they are designed. I summarized the latter in some action items during my last trip that I thought would be advance the profession toward adopting signals that were tailored to users. Turn lanes at signals for bicycle traffic (width, length, placement of signal displays) Length of time for yellow and all red (more in depth study and collection) Mounting height of bicycle signals This will be an evolving list that I am starting on and add a comment if you can think of a topic that's worth further study.

No comments: